torsdag 4 augusti 2016

Follow-up of follow-up (spring 2016)

.
My last blog post summarised my academic output in terms of texts that I have been working on during the spring term (Jan-June). This blog post is a (mostly quantitative) analysis of those texts/pieces of output in the form of eight observations. There is one outlier (15 co-authors) that gets special treatment here.

Here's a breakdown of the type of texts I have been working on during the spring:
- 8 conference papers (6 accepted, 2 rejected)
- 6 journal articles (1 published, 2 in press, 1 being in review and 2 special issue article proposals (abstracts) being in review)
- 2 book chapter proposals (both accepted)
- 2 workshop proposals (both accepted)


Observation 1: I haven't written a single text by myself - all the texts have co-authors. Five of the 18 texts have been written by two authors (me and someone else) and another five has three authors. Two texts each have four, five and six authors respectively, one has seven authors and one has 15 authors. The workshop proposals generally have numerous authors (six and seven respectively). I would however say that one of the texts written is based on an earlier (rejected) paper that has been substantially reworked and my two co-authors have not done any work at all this time around so I'm kind of the single authors of that one text.

Observation 2: I'm the first (main) author of nine out of those 18 texts and the second author of another seven texts. I'm author three out of four and four out of four of the last two remaining texts. That means I drive the process - or support the person who drives the process - in almost all of the texts I have had a hand in.

Observation 3: I have worked together with my colleague Elina Eriksson on no less than ten out of those 18 texts. Other regular co-authors are Teresa Cerratto Pargman and Ulrika Gunnarsson Östling (three texts each) as well as Karin Bradley, Adrian Friday, Mattias Höjer, Luciane Aguiar Borges and Josefin Wangel (two texts each). Excluding The Outlier (which has 15 co-authors), I have worked with 21 persons on (only) one paper each and I do believe that no less than 16 of these are persons I have never worked with before.

Observation 4: Of the recurrent co-authors listed above (Elina, Teresa, Ulrika, Karin, Adrian, Mattias, Luciane and Josefin), all but two work at KTH (and one of the non-KTH persons is my wife!). More notable is the fact that all but two of these eight persons are women. Is sustainability a feminized research topic? Is sustainability a women's issue?

Observation 5: Of the no less than 10 texts that I have been working on together with Elina Eriksson, we are together the first and the second authors of eight of these texts (first authorship being evenly split between us). We really do work a lot together and we also work more closely together than ever before. I do think that the fact that we sit in the same corridor as of April is a factor that should not be underestimated. Me and Elina have even started to have weekly 30-minute meetings to coordinate and prioritise among the tasks we work on together (of which only a subset have to do with writing academic papers). I will write a separate blog post about our cooperation with a special emphasis on the writing process soon.

Observation 6Each of the 18 texts I have worked on is about sustainability in one form or another! While topics range from the sharing economy and design fiction to policy modeling and pedagogy, each text also has a clear sustainability angle. That is actually quite amazing - I'm 100% sustainable nowadays!

Observation 7: For the first time ever, two of the texts I have written are not about computing. I can't recall ever ever having written an academic text that is not about computing (virtual communities, computer games, ICT & sustainability etc.) before. This is actually very significant and I wouldn't have imagined that this could happen only a year or two ago.

Observation 8: Both apparent and a blind spot for me (it took some time to realise) is that fact that none of the 18 texts is written in Swedish - my native tongue. That's actually quite amazing when you think about it. I'm a Swede, I live in Sweden, but nothing of what I write professionally is written in anything but English.

That's about it. I can't think of anything more that I can squeeze out of the previous blog post.
.

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar